Jagadguru Shri Kripalu Ji Maharaj
The fifth original Jagadguru in the history of the world
5 October 1922 – 15 November 2013
Profound and Practical Literature
Jagadguru Shri Kripalu Ji Maharaj freely distributed the supreme bliss of Shri Radha Krishna love in an unimaginable amount and by all means. Apart from providing detailed and easy-to-follow devotional guidelines, explaining the true philosophy of soul, God, the world and the path to God-realisation, he extensively revealed the science behind devotion.
One must sincerely strive to understand the significance of his rich literary legacy, containing profound and timeless knowledge simply explained. How fortunate we are to be present in this age to be able to receive the benefit.
His graciousness had no equal and his kindness no limit - we can only have a fleeting glimpse.
All Joy, All Love, All Knowledge
Jagadguru Shri Kripalu Ji Maharaj had many amazing qualities, some never-before-seen in a Jagadguru. For example,
- He possessed supreme authority in both tattvajnana (knowledge of scriptural concepts and principles) and bhakti (practical devotion to God) and distributed both bounteously.
- His tireless propagation of madhurya bhakti (the divine love of Shri Radha Krishna) resulted in Shri Radha Krishna becoming a household name all over the world.
- Even though Saints had already shown that devotion to God was possible by engaging the mind, variously described as dhyan, sumiran, smaran, meditation etc. Shri Maharaj Ji, for the first time, renamed and redefined the process of meditation as rupadhyana. He revealed that meditation is really only meaningful when one concentrates his mind on a form of God of one’s choice. Concentrating on a form of God is in fact meditation, and this becomes devotion only by lovingly engaging the mind continuously in that process. If one does not focus on a form of God, his mind will roam here and there in this material world. Some may say, "We have not seen God, so how can I concentrate on His form?" The science of this, and all related things, has been explained lucidly by Jagadguru Shri Kripalu Ji Maharaj in his principal work Prema Rasa Siddhanta (Philosophy of Divine Love) quoting from Bhaktirasamrita Sindhu, Narada Bhakti Sutra, Brahmasutra and other sources.
- Though honoured as Jagadguruttam, he never had a Guru or Spiritual Master himself.
- He never initiated anyone as his disciple, and yet he had millions of followers.
- He travelled extensively all over India delivering innumerable discourses and giving satsang at huge public gatherings and within people's homes.
- He travelled overseas to reveal Vedic teaching in discourses he gave in the USA, England, Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore and Trinidad, etc.
- Even at the age of ninety years, he continued to quote canto, chapter and verse from all Upanishads, the Shrimad Bhagavatam and other Puranas; the Brahmasutra, the Bhagavad Gita and other scriptures so rapidly that listeners had to concede that he was a living example of shrotriya brahmanishtha (one well-versed in the scriptures and who has attained divine love).