Profound and Practical Literature
Jagadguru Shri Kripalu Ji Maharaj freely distributed the supreme bliss of Shri Radha Krishna love in an unimaginable amount and by all means. Apart from providing detailed and easy-to-follow devotional guidelines, explaining the true philosophy of soul, God, the world and the path to God-realisation, he extensively revealed the science behind devotion.
One must sincerely strive to understand the significance of his rich literary legacy, containing profound and timeless knowledge simply explained. How fortunate we are to be present in this age to be able to receive the benefit.
His graciousness had no equal and his kindness no limit - we can only have a fleeting glimpse.
All Joy, All Love, All Knowledge
Jagadguru Shri Kripalu Ji Maharaj had many amazing qualities, some never-before-seen in a Jagadguru. For example,
- He possessed supreme authority in both tattvajnana (knowledge of scriptural concepts and principles) and bhakti (practical devotion to God) and distributed both bounteously.
- His tireless propagation of madhurya bhakti (the divine love of Shri Radha Krishna) resulted in Shri Radha Krishna becoming a household name all over the world.
- Even though Saints had already shown that devotion to God was possible by engaging the mind, variously described as dhyan, sumiran, smaran, meditation etc. Shri Maharaj Ji, for the first time, renamed and redefined the process of meditation as rupadhyana. He revealed that meditation is really only meaningful when one concentrates his mind on a form of God of one’s choice. Concentrating on a form of God is in fact meditation, and this becomes devotion only by lovingly engaging the mind continuously in that process. If one does not focus on a form of God, his mind will roam here and there in this material world. Some may say, "We have not seen God, so how can I concentrate on His form?" The science of this, and all related things, has been explained lucidly by Jagadguru Shri Kripalu Ji Maharaj in his principal work Prema Rasa Siddhanta (Philosophy of Divine Love) quoting from Bhaktirasamrita Sindhu, Narada Bhakti Sutra, Brahmasutra and other sources.
- Though honoured as Jagadguruttam, he never had a Guru or Spiritual Master himself.
- He never initiated anyone as his disciple, and yet he had millions of followers.
- He travelled extensively all over India delivering innumerable discourses and giving satsang at huge public gatherings and within people's homes.
- He travelled overseas to reveal Vedic teaching in discourses he gave in the USA, England, Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore and Trinidad, etc.
- Even at the age of ninety years, he continued to quote canto, chapter and verse from all Upanishads, the Shrimad Bhagavatam and other Puranas; the Brahmasutra, the Bhagavad Gita and other scriptures so rapidly that listeners had to concede that he was a living example of shrotriya brahmanishtha (one well-versed in the scriptures and who has attained divine love).
Jagadguru Shri Kripalu Ji Maharaj revealed an enormous amount of devotional material in an easy to understand style for people from all walks of life. One may ask, "Why should I read this literature?" Simply put, Shri Maharaj Ji's works are,
Accessible To All
All his literary works are presented in Hindi and not in the traditional form of Sanskrit, with more and more being published in English as well. Similarly, his devotional songs are easy to understand, follow and sing.
a Treat For Scholars And Intellectuals Alike
His body of work is considered of the highest quality by researchers and scholars. In fact, his compositions have already been the subject of PhD research. His literature overflows with references from the great scriptural texts of the world, given canto, chapter and verse, including the Vedas, Upanishads, Shrimad Bhagavatam and Bhagavad Gita. Such profound and authoritive knowledge has amazed people of all backgrounds, including those from the literary fraternity.
His blissful devotional songs, couplets and verses, all philosophically rich and immersed in love for God, are so perfectly rhymed that they can be appreciated, sung and enjoyed by people all over the world.
His works are substantiated by numerous references from our vast scriptural heritage, including the Vedas, Upanishads, Shrimad Bhagavatam and other holy books from around the world. In so doing, Shri Maharaj Ji reconciled their seeming contradictions and showed the universality of all the world’s great sacred texts.
Secular And Coordinating
Shri Maharaj Ji’s work is not aligned to any particular religion, sect or cult. He revealed that God is one, who can be given any name and spoken to in any language. All his work embraces all seemingly different Hindu philosophies, while encouraging everyone to practice devotion and selfless service to God, by sincerely loving Him and not expecting anything in return.
His body of work is not restricted by time or circumstance. His literature transcends such things and will always remain contemporary.
Shri Maharaj Ji propagated that only the Supreme Lord is truly blissful, and there is no true happiness in this world. To attain eternal bliss, one needs to realise God as only He possesses true bliss. By singing the names and glories of the Lord, while meditating on His forms, pastimes, abodes and Saints, we can move closer to Him. This in essence is what all of Shri Maharaj Ji’s compositions are designed to do.
Shri Maharaj Ji’s work reveals the only true path to reach God in this age. He does not propagate japa, tapa, vrata (austere practices), mala or yagya, etc. as such things become mere physical drills and God never appreciates such acts. The Supreme Lord wants our mind to be absorbed in Him and not in the body. Therefore, all of Shri Maharaj Ji's compositions are both practical and relevant to our day-to-day lives.
One will find the answers to all questions pertaining to spirituality and the philosophy of divine love endorsed by numerous scriptural references. One will finally understand and then believe in the answers given by Shri Maharaj Ji to any intriguing question.
One of the most admired and highly praised aspects of Shri Maharaj Ji’s work is the depth of his explanation. India has such a vast library of scriptures, e.g. the Vedas, Upanishads, Stutees, Shastras, Ramayana, etc. but how many of these have been explained to us in a way we understand? Many of the padas, kirtans, dohas and verses revealed by Shri Maharaj Ji were explained by him in a discourse or explanation. When attempting to explain someone else’s work, one is forced to make assumptions regarding the intended meaning. In contrast, we have the great fortune of having the creator of these incomparable works giving the explanations himself. Today, more and more of these explanations and discourses are becoming available on CD, Mp3 and DVD. Some are even available to watch online while others are being shown on television.
In the literature of Jagadguru Shri Kripalu Ji Maharaj you will find logical solutions to all the mutually contradictory scriptural principles that had baffled scholars previously. For example,
- A. Every individual is naturally a believer of God.
B. An individual can never become a believer even after countless endeavours for ages.
- A. God is incomprehensible to the senses, mind and intellect.
B. God can be comprehended by the senses, mind and intellect.
- A. God is without form and attributes.
B. God is with form and attributes.
- A. God is the doer.
B. God is a non-doer.
- A. God can be attained by His grace alone.
B. God can be attained only through personal endeavours.
- A. Karma is condemnable.
B. Karma is recommendable.
- A. Jnana is condemnable.
B. Jnana is recommendable.
- A. Bhakti is the means.
B. Bhakti is the end.
- A. A true Saint can come under the bondage of may a.
B. A true Saint is eternally free from the bondage of may a.
- A. One cannot experience the taste of sweetness eating salt with the feeling it is sugar.
B. One attains the result of God by worshipping a Deity with the feeling it is God.
- A. One attains everything by doing nothing.
B. One attains nothing by doing everything.
Many other philosophical contradictions are unraveled by Jagadguru Shri Kripalu Ji Maharaj. One is best advised to study his principal compositions such as Prema Rasa Siddhanta, Radha Govind Geet, Bhakti Shatak, Sevak Sevya Siddhanta, etc. together with watching or listening to his discourses.
One can also listen to the discourses delivered by any one of his pracharaks (preachers), whom he selected and trained to spread the philosophy of divine love as revealed by him throughout the world. With his knowledge and in his name, these preachers carry on his legacy of resolving people's confusion about spiritual subjects, to ultimately reveal the true path to God in this age.
- A. Every individual is naturally a believer of God.